Hi guys! Today’s recipe has always been a special summer treat for me. As a kid my grandmother loved caramel corn. Her birthday was in August so the perfect gift to get her was always a big tub of fresh made caramel corn from the boardwalk at the Jersey shore. Talk about a woman who was easy to please! I can close my eyes and picture the exact place where we used to buy it and I can almost smell that yummy smell as if that tub was right in front of me!
The only problem with buying the caramel corn from the boardwalk was that after summer ended the boardwalk closed. And yes, you guessed it, no more caramel corn! We needed to get our fix! We couldn’t possibly go the whole winter without that sweet, salty, crunchy, caramelly treat! We tried the usual store-bought brands but they just weren’t cuttin’ it.
The only solution to the problem was to make it homemade because we all know anything homemade is always better! And I can honestly say once you try this homemade Pecan Caramel Corn you will be addicted too! Thank goodness this recipe makes a huge batch because you’re going to need it! With the delicious smells coming from the oven it’s amazing how many people start showing up in the kitchen!
This Pecan Caramel Corn recipe is so simple. You only need a handful of ingredients, most of which are probably already in your pantry and there’s no need for a candy thermometer! Gram loved nuts in her caramel corn so there are pecans in our recipe but feel free to substitute your favorite nut or you can even omit the nuts if you’re not a fan. So get ready, it’s time to break out the stretchy pants! This one’s a bikini killer but it’s SO worth it!
- 10 cups popped popcorn (I used plain microwave popcorn freshly popped)
- 1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)
- 2 Tbsp. molasses
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Pop corn and pour into large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine butter, molasses, corn syrup, brown sugar and salt in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring often. Mixture will darken. Remove from the heat and quickly stir in the baking soda and vanilla. Mixture will be foamy. Stir the mixture into the popped corn until evenly coated. Stir in the pecans. Spread the hot caramel corn on the prepared sheet. Bake at 200 degrees for one hour stirring every 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Store in an airtight contained once cooled.