Ok guys, I’m just gonna be honest the Super Bowl is not really about the game for me. I know, I’m sorry, but it’s true. Since my home team isn’t in it I actually had to ask my husband who was even playing! Don’t get me wrong, I do like football, but I like college football better than pro football. I have a brother-in-law who went to the University of Alabama, another brother-in-law who went to Notre Dame and now my son Casey goes to the University of Michigan! We’re talking BIG football schools…really BIG!!
So back to the Super Bowl…since it’s not about the actual game for me I’ll give you one guess what it’s really about. Yup, you got it, the food (with the commercials coming in a close second). Frankly though I am tired of the same old Super Bowl appys. I like little hot dogs in puff pastry, (little doggers as I call ’em, weinie tots as my tailgating University of Alabama brother-in-law calls ’em) as much as the next guy or gal, but my taste buds have evolved since the good old college days!
So let’s see….a crusty French baguette, vine ripe tomatoes bursting with flavor, garlic and a creamy herbed ricotta. Sound like a plan, or maybe a play if we’re talking football talk?? I’m on it!
I got the idea for this great Super Bowl appetizer when I was at the local farmers market this week. I saw these gorgeous bright red vine ripe tomatoes. It got me thinking of my go-to summer appetizer….Herbed Ricotta and Tomato Crostini. My summer is filled with Jersey tomatoes. They are big, beautiful and beefy. Perfect for some of my favorites like BLT’s, bruschetta, and grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches.
This appetizer is delicious and quick to assemble. First, the nice crusty French baguette is sliced and toasted until golden brown, scraped with a garlic clove and then brushed with olive oil. Next, you top the slices with the mixture of ricotta, parmesan, fresh basil, chives and salt and pepper. The final step is to place those juicy vine ripe tomatoes right on top. This is one flavor-filled appetizer that will soon become a favorite.
So instead of the usuals this Super Bowl change it up with this deliciously fresh tasting Herbed Ricotta and Tomato Crostini. It’s a clear winner!
- 5 medium vine ripe tomatoes, sliced and then halve each slice
- 1 15 ounce container whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp. fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chives, finely chopped
- 2 French baguettes, cut into 1/2 inch slices (20 slices)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Slice and then halve the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- In small bowl stir together the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, basil, chives, 1 tsp. kosher salt and 1/2 tsp. ground pepper.
- Slice each baguette into 10 slices about 1/2 inch thick. Place slices on a baking sheet and toast in the broiler until lightly browned. Watch the tray so they don't burn. I put 10 slices on one tray and the other 10 on another and broiled one tray at a time.
- When done toasting rub each baguette slice with the garlic clove and then brush the tops of the baguette slices with olive oil.
- To assemble the crostini spread each slice with the ricotta mixture and then top each slice with two pieces of the tomato. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with some extra parmesan is desired