Add a little sunshine to your dessert plate tonight with this spectacular and oh so easy Winter Citrus Mascarpone Tart.
The month of January always seems to draaaagggggg….don’t ya think? The holidays are over, the days get colder and gloomier, and it seems like spring is eons away. It gets downright depressing actually, and it makes me a little kooky to tell ya the truth.
This time every year, I find myself breaking out the Coppertone lotion… not because I’m trying to get a tan obviously, but because that smell takes me back to the warm, beautiful days of summer. I just put a little dab on the top of my hand, rub it in, and let the smell take me away. I’ve been doing it for years. Religiously. Every January like clockwork. Kooky? Perhaps. Mood booster? Heck ya!
You know what else lifts my mood during the winter?? Citrus season!! And today, I’m BEYOND excited to share a little ray of sunshine for your winter dessert plate!
This Winter Citrus Mascarpone Tart is all that and MORE! Doesn’t it just scream, “spring and summer is just around the corner”?? And wait til you see how easy it is to whip up.
It’s got a super simple crust of oats and almonds combined into a fine crumble, along with some brown sugar for sweetness and butter to hold it all together. A creamy, rich, velvety filling of mascarpone, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, grated lemon zest and some freshly whipped cream. Yes, it’s as dreamy as it sounds. Then top it all with some beautiful, sweet and tangy slices of blood, cara cara and traditional navel oranges.
Seriously, sooooo easy, incredibly delicious, and the perfect winter dessert to boost our spirits! Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 3/4 cup whole almonds I use Diamond of CA Whole Almonds
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 7 Tbsp. unsalted butter melted
- 12 oz. mascarpone cheese room temperature
- 1/3 cup confectioners sugar sifted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- grated zest of one large lemon
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 blood oranges peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 large cara cara orange peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 large navel orange peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Crust: In a food processor, pulse the oats and the almonds until mixture resembles a fine crumble. Add the brown sugar and salt and pulse a few more times until combined. Place mixture in a bowl and add the melted butter. Mix with a fork until well combined. Press dough into a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Bake on the middle rack of oven for 20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely, then remove from pan and place on serving platter.
- Filling: In a medium bowl, mix mascarpone, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and lemon zest with a rubber spatula until well blended. In a small bowl, whip the heavy cream with a hand-held mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Fold into the mascarpone mixture.
- Spread filling on top of cooled crust to 1/2-inch from outer edge. Top filling with orange rounds. Chill for up to 3-4 hours. Serve chilled.