These Peanut Butter Cups are the perfect little treat for the kiddos after a long day at school!
Wow! Can you believe it’s already Labor Day weekend? If your kids haven’t gone back to school yet, I’m thinking Tuesday of next week may be the dreaded first day of school. The unofficial time to kiss summer goodbye. Wah wah.
I know the first few days of school are tough. It’s usually still pretty warm, so it feels more like summer than school, homework starts, and the hoards of papers to sign that come home in that backpack…UGH! Can you spell “Stress” with a capital S?
So today I’m sharing a treat for the kids AND adults, because face it, school is a lot of work for everyone involved, and chocolate makes all things right in the world, doesn’t it?
I decided on two options for today’s Peanut Butter Cups. A peanut butter and strawberry jam cup, or whatever jam suits your fancy, and some crispy peanut butter cups. I love the pb&j cups, and my son Casey is a huge fan of the crispy ones.
These little cups couldn’t be easier, and they’re the perfect after school or lunch box treat. Hope everyone has a wonderful Labor Day weekend. Enjoy!
And to my family, friends and followers in Texas, my heart is breaking for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you!
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter softened
- 1/3 cup confectioner's sugar sifted
- 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup crispy rice cereal
- Line two 12 count count mini-muffin pans with paper liners. Set aside. If you don't have two trays, just make one flavor at a time.
- In a small bowl, combine peanut butter, butter, confectioner's sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth and well blended. Place in refrigerator.
- Place the chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth.
- Peanut Butter and Strawberry Jam Cups: Spoon one heaping teaspoon melted chocolate into each paper liner. Bang tray on counter so chocolate settles.Top with one teaspoon peanut butter, 1/2 teaspoon strawberry jam, and finally another heaping teaspoon of melted chocolate. Bang tray again on counter. Chill in refrigerator for about one hour.
- Crispy Peanut Butter Cups: Spoon one heaping teaspoon melted chocolate into each paper liner. Bang tray on counter so chocolate settles.Top with one heaping teaspoon peanut butter, sprinkle with some crispy rice cereal, and finally another heaping teaspoon of melted chocolate. Bang tray again on counter, then top each cup with more crispy rice cereal. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.