These Apple Spice Crumb Muffins are the perfect little breakfast treat to welcome in September. The warm spices of cinnamon, cardamon and nutmeg and a delicious crumb topping make these muffins irresistible!
Forgive me folks. I’ve crumbled under the pressure. I held out as long as I possibly could. But with scenes of kids boarding school buses, End of Summer Sale signs plastered everywhere AND seeing as today is September 1st, I thought it was as good a day as any to share something with a hint of fall. These Apple Spice Crumb Muffins are perfect for the kiddos for breakfast before school, as a little lunchbox treat, or even as a special delivery for those fabulous teachers at school.
You know me guys, I’m a total summer girl at heart. And I know this weekend is not technically the last weekend of summer, but since almost all kids will be headed back to school next week, it kind of feels like it is, unfortunately. So with fall staring me straight in the face everywhere I go, I kinda had a craving for something warm and cinnamony. Can you blame me? It’s not like I’m sharing something pumpkin after all. That’ll come, I promise, but not quite yet. I have to draw the line somewhere.
These muffins get an A+ in my book! The applesauce in the batter makes them incredibly moist. While the warm spices of cinnamon, cardamon and nutmeg are the unmistakable flavors of fall. And who can resist a crumb topping?! And while we’re at it, why not add a little drizzle of vanilla glaze on top right? Don’t mind if I do! Hope you enjoy these friends.
I hope you all have some fun planned for the Labor Day weekend! I’ll be spending the weekend at the beach with family and friends! See you back at the BHK next Thursday!
- Crumb Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. butter melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce unsweetened
- Vanilla Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar sifted
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside,
- For the crumb topping: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir in the meted butter with a fork. Mix until crumbly. Put bowl in refrigerator while you make the muffin batter.
- Muffins: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cardamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time until well combined, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
- Reduce speed to low. Add applesauce then flour mixture, mixing just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin cups, filling 3/4 full. Remove crumb topping from frige and fluff with a fork. Sprinkle some crumbs on top of each muffin. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until tester comes out clean when inserted in middle of muffin.
- Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
- While muffins are cooling, in a small bowl, whisk together ingredients for vanilla glaze adding additional milk if needed for drizzling consistency.
- When muffins are cool, drizzle with vanilla glaze.