Today’s Simple Saturday recipe for Tom’s Perfect Soft-Boiled Eggs is brought to you by….none other than my wonderful husband Tom. Now, when I say “brought to you by,” I don’t mean Tom actually made them, in our kitchen, by himself. That usually does not happen at our house. I have been married to Tom for over 25 years, and I can honestly say he has probably cooked a meal in our kitchen about 5 times, with that being somewhat of an exaggeration. Tom can school me on a lot of things, but cooking is not one of them. Well, that is until soft-boiled eggs…
I did not grow up eating soft-boiled eggs. Apparently, I am one of those crazy people who does not like runny yolks. Hard boiled eggs, I’m in, runny yolks, that would be a no. So when Tom asked me to make him some soft-boiled eggs right after we were first married, I’ll admit it, I did not know how to do it. I just couldn’t get it right. They were either too runny or over cooked. After numerous flops, Tom said to call his mom because hers always turned out perfect! Exactly what a new wife wants to hear right?! Well, Tom was right, his mother’s recipe is perfect! There are lots of recipes out there for soft-boiled eggs, but this is the only recipe I use because it works every time. Why mess with perfection?
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- toast for dunking
- Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Make sure the water will cover the eggs by at least one inch.
- When the water starts to boil carefully add eggs, one at a time with a slotted spoon.
- Set a timer for 4 minutes 30 seconds.
- When the timer is done drain the water and quickly rinse eggs with cold water to stop them from cooking.
- Place egg in egg cup and crack and peel the shell off the top of the egg.
- Salt and pepper to taste.