My favorite holiday of the year is quickly approaching friends! I can feel it already. Can you? Love is in the air! It’s time to start planning that special day, so you can impress your Valentine and these Valentine Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream will totally do the trick!
I ♥ everything about Valentine’s Day! I hope you do too because I may go a little crazy over the next few weeks! Forgive me! I can’t help myself. I’m a romantic at heart!
There is nothing better than making something special for your Valentine. Don’t you agree? Whether it’s a homemade card or a delicious sweet treat, you can count me in. Since chocolate covered strawberries seem to be hugely popular on this romantic holiday, I decided to create a cupcake along the same lines.
These Valentine Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream are decadently delicious! The cake is incredibly moist and oh so chocolatey and the strawberry buttercream is creamy and fluffy with the perfect amount of sweet strawberry flavor! I guarantee your special sweetheart will ♥ these!
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot coffee, freshly brewed
- Strawberry Buttercream:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup strawberry preserves
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 6 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3-4 Tbsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Slowly add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients just until incorporated, then slowly beat in the hot coffee until incorporated.
- Divide batter among the prepared pans, filling each 3/4's full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on wire rack before frosting.
- For the Strawberry Buttercream:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the butter, strawberry preserves and the vanilla.
- Whisk for 3 minutes on medium high until well combined.
- Turn the mixer down to low and slowly add the confectioner's sugar and salt.
- Add the milk one tablespoon at a time and increase the speed to high.
- Beat for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add more milk, if necessary, for good spreading consistency.
- Add the buttercream to a pastry bag fitted with a Wilton 2D tip.
- Pipe a rose on top of each cooled cupcake. (see tutorial link below for piping roses)
Cake adapted from Ina Garten’s Beatty’s Chocolate Cake