Good Monday morning friends! How was everyone’s weekend? I spent the earlier part of my weekend before the rain, wind and flooding from Hurricane Joaquin putting up my fall/Halloween decorations. Are you guys Halloween fans? I love Halloween! I love seeing all the kids in their costumes, and I love giving out the candy on Halloween night. This weekend I had such fun going into town to get my pumpkins, cornstalks, and hay bales and start decorating the house.
While I was out gathering up my fall decorations I noticed there are already Christmas cards and decorations in some of the stores! I love Christmas as much as the next guy, but I still need to focus on Halloween and Thanksgiving before I start trimming any trees for gosh sakes! Since Thanksgiving is the biggest food holiday of the year, I usually start thinking about special dishes I’ll be serving right around the beginning to mid-October. I always have the usual favorites, but I usually try to change up the vegetable side dishes every year.
Today I’m sharing my Horseradish Cauliflower Au Gratin which will be served this year at our Thanksgiving table. I really love cauliflower, and this recipe is my favorite way to prepare it. The sauce is smooth and creamy with some parmesan cheese, garlic and the perfect amount of horseradish to give it some wonderful flavor, and a little kick. I also like to top it with some Italian panko bread crumbs for added flavor. Cauliflower is rich in vitamin C, calcium, and potassium, so it not only tastes delicious, but it’s good for you. So plan ahead and give this one a go over the next few weeks, and hopefully it gets a spot at your Thanksgiving table too! Have a great week friends!
- 8 cups cauliflower florets (one large head)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. prepared horseradish
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup Italian panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place cauliflower florets in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover pot and steam for 7 minutes until slightly tender. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add flour and cook for an additional minute stirring constantly.
- Slowly add milk and bring to a boil, stirring often until thickened.
- Add salt, pepper, horseradish and all but 2 Tbsp. of the parmesan cheese.
- Pour a little less than half of the sauce into the bottom of a casserole dish big enough to fit the cauliflower.
- Add the drained cauliflower on top, followed by the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle with the panko bread crumbs, the remaining 2 Tbsp. parmesan cheese and some additional fresh ground black pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes until lightly browned.