Well doesn’t time just fly?! Just a few more days and it’s already the Easter holiday! This year at our house it’s going to be a little different because both the boys are at school (WAH WAH) so it’s just Tom and I. No need to do a big dinner for just the two of us, so it’s going to be a laid back, no stress kind of weekend at my favorite place….the beach. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and there will be a glass of wine, maybe two, ok, ok so maybe three, enjoyed on the porch while taking in the beautiful Jersey shore sunsets! OH YA!
I think as long as I can remember the main dish on Easter Sunday at my house growing up was always a ham. If you didn’t know, apparently ham is the number one choice for Easter dinner with lamb coming in as a close second. So since I am a rule follower, who has a hard time with change….ham it is!! But this year I am going to change it up a little bit and since we are going “laid back” I’m going to be a rebel, a rule breaker, I’m gonna throw caution to the wind and change-up all the usual hot sides to easy peasy cold ones! I know I’m talking crazy, but I’m gonna do it! No slaving over the hot oven for me (except for the cheddar cheese biscuits, which isn’t really slaving), just some make ahead goodies so there will be plenty of time for relaxing!
I think I am going to serve the ham as little sandwiches on my favorite homemade cheddar cheese biscuits. For the sides it’s definitely going to be Tom’s favorite, deviled eggs and some green beans with balsamic roasted shallots and last but not least this DANG delicious Spicy Sweet Potato Salad. This stuff is like eating candy with a little kick! Since I am not going to make the usual Sweet Potato Pie (my brother-in-law Ken’s favorite) I had to have something sweet potato, you know the hard time with change thing…it always bites me right in the….well, you know. So I thought why not a sweet potato salad?? Should I go totally sweet, should I add spicy? I couldn’t decide so I went both, and the result is like I said …DANG delicious!! Sweet potatoes, red onion, apricot preserves, jalapenos and bacon all tossed together. Believe me it’s like a bowl of heaven! The best gift the Easter bunny could bring, well besides that big old chocolate bunny sitting in the middle of your Easter basket dreading getting his ears bitten off! So I hope you and your family enjoy the holiday. Relax, enjoy your day and as usual thank you for following the beach house kitchen.
- 4 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 8 strips bacon, thick-sliced
- 1 cup red onion, rough chop
- 1/4 cup yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 2 jalapenos, 1 sliced and finely chopped with seeds, one seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. scallions, sliced
- 2 jalapenos, sliced
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. In large bowl toss sweet potatoes with olive oil and salt and pepper. Spread sweet potatoes on prepared baking sheets in an even layer. Cook until potatoes are fork tender, 20-25 minutes tossing potatoes and rotating trays after 10 minutes. Remove from oven when done and cool on trays to room temperature.
- Saute bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain fat and leave bacon in skillet. Add onion, yellow pepper, and jalapenos and cook 5 minutes until soft and golden brown. Whisk in the apricot preserves and vinegar and simmer until smooth. remove from heat.
- In large bowl toss potatoes with bacon mixture. Transfer to a serving dish. Before serving, top potatoes with scallions and jalapenos. You can serve cold or at room temperature.