Well, right about now it’s looking like there is nothing but cold weather being served up by Mother Nature, and I hear it’s about to get even colder. I’m thinking it’s time to batten down the hatches and break out one of my winter favorites! This Hearty Sausage Potato Bake is just what the doctor ordered. I found it on a great blog called Kayotic Kitchen, and the minute I saw the photo it was love at first sight! All my favorite ingredients were right in front of me! Italian sausage, potatoes, peppers, onions, carrots! Need I say more? Plus Kay from Kayotic Kitchen calls it “Lazy Sunday Casserole” which told me one thing….EASY! Magic to my ears!
For the most part I just followed Kay’s recipe with only a minor tweak here and there because really why mess with perfection? This casserole is unbelievably savory. The juices from the sausages meld with the vegetables to create a flavorful, comforting dish. I added some Herbes de Provence which is a blend of savory, majoram, rosemary, thyme, oregano and lavender leaves that gives the dish a nice bold, earthy flavor. I also use fingerling potatoes which are the ideal potato for this dish because they are small in size and you can leave the skins on and include them whole or sliced in half and they roast perfectly.
It takes only minutes to prepare and while it is cooking you can hunker down under a nice warm blanket and watch a good movie and smell the scrumptious aromas coming from the oven. I just can’t figure out why Kay calls it the “Lazy Sunday Casserole” because I would venture to say it would be delicious any day of the week! Stay warm!
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, mild or hot (about 5 links)
- 1 lb. fingerling potatoes, whole, scrubbed and unpeeled
- 1/2 lb. mini carrots
- 1 medium red pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 medium yellow pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp. Herbes de Provence
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place fingerling potatoes, carrots, red peppers, yellow peppers and onion in large baking dish. In small bowl whisk together minced garlic, 2 Tbsp. olive oil, chicken broth and Herbes de Provence. Pour over vegetables in baking dish and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes or until fork tender.
- While the vegetables are cooking heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in medium saute pan. Add Italian sausage and lightly brown. You do not need to cook through because the sausage will be added to the vegetables later. When sausage is done browning slice each link in half and set aside.
- When vegetables have been cooking for 45 minutes uncover, toss the vegetables then add the Italian sausage to the top of the baking dish. Continue to bake uncovered for 15 minutes then turn the sausages and spoon some of the sauce over the top. Return to the oven and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Adapted from Kayotic Kitchen