Ok folks, it’s only ten days to the Christmas holiday and I am thinking you need a rich, sweet, little dinner roll to grace your holiday table. Am I right? I can see it now…a bread basket overflowing with beautiful dark, golden brown brioche buns right smackerooney in the middle of your holiday table! As my niece Erin would say, “are you buyin what I’m sellin??”
I know what you’re thinking… “is she CRAZY?? With all the things I have to make for dinner I have NO time to make homemade brioche rolls!” Oh, but dear readers YES you do because this recipe takes one hour from start to finito and they will be sitting pretty on your festive holiday table. They will be perfect with the ham, turkey, beef or whatever you choose to serve because they are YUMMY!! Sweet, tender and golden brown. Need I say more?
So this year forget the ordinary store-bought dinner rolls and impress your family with a homemade brioche roll they will always want to have on your holiday menu!
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk, warmed to 110 degrees
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. instant yeast
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- Poppy seeds or sesame seeds for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir warm milk, sugar, yeast, butter and one egg together in stand mixer. Add the flour and the salt and mix until combined. Change to a dough hook and knead for 7 minutes until the dough is nice and smooth. If the dough is too sticky add more flour by the tablespoonful. You should be able to stretch the dough without it breaking. It will still be somewhat sticky.
- Divide the dough into 12-14 pieces. Shape each into a ball and cup your hand over the ball on a lightly floured surface. Spin the dough in a circular motion until the ball is smooth. Place the balls on your parchment lined sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and a dish towel and let rise for 30 minutes. Wisk the remaining egg with 1 teaspoon water and brush the top of each roll with mixture. Sprinkle with either poppy seeds (as shown) or sesame seeds. Bake on middle rack of oven until golden brown, approximately 10-12 minutes.
Adapted from Portuguese Girl Cooks