This zesty Jambalaya never fails to impress! It's loaded with shrimp, chicken and sausage and is made in one large pot or deep skillet. Perfect for entertaining a crowd!
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped (2-3 ribs)
- 1 1/4 cups red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups green pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 cups long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Creole seasoning, I use Tony Chachere's
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 lb. smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 1/2 lb. shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- chopped fresh parsley and hot sauce for garnish if desired
Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in an extra large saute pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan and cook, stirring often, for 8-10 minutes until nicely browned and mostly cooked through. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon to a plate.
Add remaining 2 Tbsp. oil to the pan along with onions, celery, and peppers and cook for 5-6 minutes, until softened, stirring to loosen brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute.
Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice, seasonings, sausage and cooked chicken and stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once mixture starts to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring often for 25-30 minutes or until rice is cooked.
Stir in shrimp and continue to cook, stirring often until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
Remove bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste.
You can use either a Dutch oven for this recipe or a very deep, large skillet if you have one. I actually recommend the Dutch oven so you don't need to worry about the skillet overflowing on your stove.
You can also half this recipe for a smaller crowd.
You can use smoked sausage for this recipe or andouille sausage. I use either Johnsonville or Aidells.
Calories: 555kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 76mg | Sodium: 962mg | Potassium: 963mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2295IU | Vitamin C: 66mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 3mg