A creamy Seafood Pot Pie made even more mouthwatering when topped with Tater Tots!
It’s no secret guys. I’m a huge fan of comfort foods, with rich and delectable pot pies at the tippy top of the list. YUM!
I don’t usually indulge in comfort foods as much during the summer as I do during the fall and winter seasons, but this Tater Topped Seafood Pot Pie is one tasty exception. Living at the beach, we’re surrounded by fabulous seafood all summer long. If we’re not catching it on our own boat or crab trap behind the house, we just pop into one of the fabulous seafood markets in town or right off the boats in Cape May to grab what we need.
For this seafood pot pie, I basically use my favorite chicken pot pie recipe with a few minor tweaks here and there. And instead of topping it with a puff pastry crust I decided to give tater tots a go this time. Woohoo for tater tots, because they make this pot pie even more hearty and comforting! The filling is a creamy mixture of onions, mushrooms, carrots, red pepper, peas, garlic, bacon, shrimp and crabmeat with a touch of fresh thyme. Folks this dish is an absolute winner! I mean just look at that filling. ↓
I also decided to make one big pot pie this go around instead of individual servings. Simply add all the filling to a large baking dish, top with the tater tots, then bake. How easy is that? And no sides are needed since all the veggies are right in the pie. Just serve with a nice glass of your favorite wine. It’s summer seafood at it’s best and most indulgent. Enjoy!
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 oz. white button mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled, deveined and halved
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups clam juice
- 1 lb. jumbo lump crab meat
- 2 Tbsp. fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 32oz. bag Tater Tots
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and set aside. Reserve fat in skillet. To the skillet, add carrots, onions and red pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mushrooms and season with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper and cook for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add the shrimp, garlic and thyme and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until shrimp are firm.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the peas. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large saucepan, melt 4 Tbsp. butter over medium-low heat.
- Add the flour and whisk constantly for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the white wine and continue to cook for 1 -2 minutes until almost evaporated.
- Gradually add the cream and the clam juice. Raise the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the vegetables and shrimp. Fold in the crabmeat and season with remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper and parsley.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour mixture into 3-quart oven proof baking dish and top with frozen tater tots. (as pictured)
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown.
- Serve immediately.