These Berry Crumb Bars are the perfect dessert for all those gorgeous summer berries!
Bring on the summer berries folks because have I got a treat for you!
As a kid I was not into fruit. When given the option of either a fruit dessert or a chocolate one, hands down, chocolate every time. Growing up, and still to this day, I can hear my mother saying, “have some fruit. It’s delicious. It tastes just like candy.” Yada yada, I’d think. Just give me something chocolate.
Well, as I’ve grown older, I tend to opt for the fruity desserts over the chocolate ones. Go figure? I guess, as the saying goes…Mom is always right, it actually does taste like candy. Even better!
These Berry Crumble Bars are double the berries. Juicy strawberries and plump blueberries atop a buttery crust and then sprinkled with additional crumb topping. A drizzle of sweet vanilla glaze is highly suggested, or perhaps sans the drizzle and topped with freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. You be the judge! Enjoy!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Vanilla Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9X13 pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugars, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Whisk together. Add butter. Cut in with pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat egg and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and mix together using your fingers until the dough begins to clump together.
- Tightly press 2/3 of the mixture into the bottom of your prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, blueberries, cornstarch, granulated sugar and lemon juice. Mix until well combined. Pour over crust and spread evenly. Sprinkle fruit layer with remaining crumbs.
- Bake for 50 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown on top. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 30 minutes, then place in refrigerator to cool totally.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vanilla glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cooled bars. Remove from pan and cut into squares. Refrigerate leftovers.