This One Skillet Mustard Chicken is an entire meal in just one dish! Crispy, juicy chicken in a creamy, tangy mustard sauce that’s destined to be a family favorite!
Tender, mouth-watering, budget-friendly chicken thighs nestled in a creamy, mustard sauce with green beans and red potatoes. Sound good? Well, it gets better. It’s quick and easy and made in just one skillet! It’s perfect as a weeknight meal for the family, but fancy enough for weekend company!
This One Skillet Mustard Chicken has a long history at our house. This was the first dish I ever made for my husband Tom when we were dating, and I’ve been serving it ever since. I’ve tweaked the recipe over the years, but this version with green beans and red potatoes is the easiest because it’s a one dish meal.
The best part of this dish is the sauce. It’s amazing! It’s creamy, but not too creamy. It has two kinds of mustard, Dijon and stone ground, white wine and chicken broth. I also add a few sprigs of rosemary and thyme which gives it a wonderful flavor. I like to thicken up my sauce a bit just before I serve it, so I take one tablespoon of all-purpose flour and whisk in about 1/2 cup of the sauce, then I add it back to the pan. Sprinkle some extra fresh thyme leaves on top of the chicken before you plate it and I guarantee this one’s going to be a family fave!
Don’t forget to grab a nice crusty bread for sopping up the sauce, and then just watch all the smiling faces at your dinner table. Enjoy!
- 6 skin on, bone in chicken thighs
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. stone ground mustard
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. chopped, fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 16 oz. red potatoes, quartered
- 8-10 oz. fresh green beans, halved
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat olive oil and butter over medium high heat. Add chicken thighs to skillet, skin side down, and cook for 5 minutes until nicely browned. Turn thighs over and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add the minced garlic to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 1 minute, stirring often. Add the wine and cook, scraping up brown bits from bottom of the pan until the wine is reduced by half.
- Add both mustards and the chicken broth and stir until well combined. Add the rosemary and thyme sprigs. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream, salt and pepper, to taste and parsley and heat through. Remove 1/2 cup of the sauce to a small bowl. Whisk in 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour until smooth. Whisk back into sauce in skillet.
- Add the chicken thighs (skin side up) and potatoes back to the skillet. Cover and continue to cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Add the green beans, cover and continue cooking for 10 more minutes or until vegetables are tender and chicken is completely cooked through. Spoon sauce over chicken and sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves. Serve immediately.