This creamy Clams Casino Soup is the classic appetizer in soup form! It’s so easy to make and perfect for soup season!
This soup guys! If you’re a clams casino fan like me, have I got a soup for you!
I’ve got lots of favorite appetizers, but clams casino has to be one of my summer favorites. I don’t make them during the fall and winter months all that often, so I decided I needed to remedy that. Why not turn my favorite appy into a comforting and creamy soup that would be perfect to cozy up to during the winter? AND it would remind me of my favorite season, summer…just 139 days until the Memorial Day kick off!!
And it just so happens that January is National Soup Month. Finally, for once I’m not late to the party. So this soup could not be coming to your table at a better time, because during National Soup Month, we soup! This soup is smooth and creamy, packed with clams, red and green pepper, a bit of bacon and topped with toasted buttered bread crumbs. Sounds just like the appetizer, am I right? And perfect for the winter soup season!
I hope you guys enjoy this one! Have a great week and stay warm!
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 cup shallots, finely chopped
- 1 large red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- dash of cayenne papper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white cooking wine
- 2 tsp. minced fresh thyme leaves (1 tsp. dried)
- 4 cups clam juice
- 8 Tbsp. (one stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 6.5 oz cans chopped clams, drained
- Toasted breadcrumbs:
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3/4 cup plain panko bread crumbs
- dash of cayenne pepper
- In a large Dutch oven cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towel lined plate.
- Add shallots, peppers, salt, pepper and cayenne to Dutch oven and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add wine and continue to cook until almost evaporated.
- Add the thyme leaves and clam juice and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, melt butter in a small pan over low heat. Whisk in flour and cook 2 minutes, being careful not to burn. Whisk in one cup of hot clam juice. Add mixture to pot.
- Add milk and clams and continue to cook until thickened.Add bacon.
- While soup thickens make toasted bread crumbs:
- Melt butter in medium saute pan. Add breadcrumbs and cayenne and toss to coat. Continue to toss until crumbs are lightly browned.
- Serve soup in bowls and top with toasted breadcrumbs.