This Cranberry Orange Cornmeal Biscotti with Pecans is the perfect complement for your morning cup of tea or coffee. This crisp cookie studded with pecans and cranberries is sure to become a fall favorite!
Wow, talk about another weekend of horrible weather! I’m not going to complain about it though because the rain that came my way was nothing compared to the devastation many other people experienced. My heart goes out to everyone who is suffering. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
In a few weeks I’ll be heading to good old sunny Florida to spend some quality time with my mom. I’m really looking forward to it. I haven’t seen my mom since I flew back to Florida with her at the end of the summer. I know she’s always excited to see me, but honestly I think she may be even more excited about what I bring her every time I come to visit. I never show up empty-handed. My suitcase is always packed with her favorite, biscotti.
I usually pick some up from a fabulous bread company in town, and she totally loves it. But over the past few weeks I’ve been working on perfecting this Cranberry Orange Cornmeal Biscotti with Pecans, and it’s a total winner. Talk about the perfect complement to your morning cup of tea of coffee!
I decided to add some cornmeal to give this cookie more of a crumbly texture, and I also opted for pecans for some crunch. I experimented with walnuts and pistachios which were equally as delicious, so you decide. And for a bit of chewiness, I added one of my fall favorites, cranberries. Last, but certainly not least, a little orange zest for the win.
Mom is going to love this biscotti. I hope you enjoy it too! Have a wonderful week!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal (I use Indian Head Yellow Cornmeal)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tsp. freshly grated orange zest
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 large egg white beaten with 1 tsp. water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in middle of oven. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, honey and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the cooled butter and orange zest and mix until well combined.
- Add all the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Then stir in the cranberries and pecans.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet and shape the dough into a log with lightly floured hands that is roughly 15 inches long by 3 inches wide. Brush top and sides with egg wash.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden and slightly cracked on top.
- Let cool slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Using a sharp serrated knife, slice the log on the diagonal into 1/2 inch thick slices. Carefully lay the slices on the baking sheet, cut side down and bake for an additional 16-18 minutes or until they begin to brown, flipping the cookies halfway through.
- Let cookies cool on sheet on wire rack completely.
- Cookies can be stored for up to 2 weeks in airtight container.