I’m in full-blown summer mode friends, so today I’m sharing my all-time favorite summer dinner dish. This Chicken Milanese with Arugula, Tomatoes and Fresh Mozzarella drizzled with a little balsamic vinaigrette makes an appearance at our dinner table numerous times from Memorial Day to Labor Day!
Now, if any of my close friends are reading this post today, I know what you’re thinking. Tom (my husband) is not touching this dish with a twelve foot pole! Am I right? We all know Tom loves tomato sauce and just about anything with tomatoes that are pureed, but an actual tomato…uh…that would be a NO! I once ordered Tom a hoagie and by mistake they put tomatoes on it, so I quick took them off and missed one seed! One teeny, tiny tomato seed! And guess what? He wouldn’t eat the hoagie! Oh good Lord! UGH! And arugula? That would be an even bigger NO. So unfortunately, Tom does not put on his big boy pants and get to enjoy this one! And my son Casey, who is a clone of Tom in the picky food department, doesn’t go for this one either, but Sean and I and all the guests I’ve served it to love, love, love it!
It’s just one of those dishes that screams summer to me. It’s so nice and light and incredibly easy to put together. A crispy panko-crusted chicken breast topped with juicy red tomatoes, cubes of fresh mozzarella and peppery arugula drizzled with some tangy balsamic vinaigrette makes for the perfect summer meal. A nice glass of wine is all you’ll need to complete the dish my friends! Enjoy!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups Italian flavored panko crumbs
- 2-3 Tbsp. butter
- 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cups arugula
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- balsamic vinaigrette dressing, for drizzling
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Pound each chicken breast to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Sprinkle each breast with salt and pepper then dredge both sides in flour, dip in egg and coat with panko crumbs, pressing to make sure crumbs coat the chicken well.
- In a large saute pan, heat 2 Tbsp. butter and 2 Tbsp. olive oil over medium low heat. Add the chicken and saute on each side for 3 minutes until cooked through, adding more butter and olive oil as needed.
- Remove chicken from pan and top each with some arugula, tomatoes and fresh mozzarella. Drizzle with some balsamic vinaigrette and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.