Well, hello friends! How was everyone’s weekend? I hope you all enjoyed yourselves!
My weekend flew by, as usual. I worked my “you know what” off all weekend. I spent most of it getting my kitchen back in order, because yes guys, my kitchen renovation is finally finished! Woot woot! Just a few minor details to wrap up, but all the big stuff is done! The appliances were hooked up on Friday, so it’s up and running! The BHK is back in business! Yahoo! It turned out just as I expected thanks to my good friend Samuel, an unbelievable kitchen cabinet craftsman from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Thank you Samuel!
I wanted to make a special dish to celebrate my new kitchen and christen my new stove, so I decided to go with one of my favorites, this spicy, delicious Vegetable Curry. I saw this recipe in Southern Living last year and as soon as I saw it, I knew I had to try it. I LOVE any type of dish with curry. If you’ve never tried red curry, it’s a wonderful peppery blend of coriander, cumin, cardamon and hot chilies. This dish will wake up your taste buds for sure! In addition to the fiery red curry, it’s got the tangy flavor of buttermilk and it’s packed with good for you veggies like cauliflower, spinach and potatoes. I’m looking out for you guys! I want us to stay healthy. Yes, we can enjoy our sweets and desserts every now and then, but we need to fit in some healthy dishes too!
In addition to this yummy, healthy dish, I’m also hosting a giveaway today on the blog with some of my fellow food blogger friends! The giveaway is for a $300 Amazon Gift Card! Yes, $300 smackeroos friends! Wouldn’t that be fun to win?! Summer’s coming, so I’m sure you could buy yourself something sweet! The giveaway is open to anyone 18 or older who is a resident of the U.S., Canada or the UK. It begins today and goes through April 28th. You’ve got 10 days and multiple ways to enter too. Just scroll down past the recipe to check it out! Good luck!
Hope you enjoy this BHK favorite! Have a great week!
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp.olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots (about 3)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp. red curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cups red potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups low salt chicken broth
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. cold water
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 5 oz. package baby spinach leaves
- Hot cooked Long-grain rice (optional)
- In a large saucepan over high heat, melt butter and olive oil. Add shallots, jalapenos and ginger and saute for 2 minutes. Add curry powder, cumin, coriander, salt and cayenne. Stir constantly for one minute.
- Stir in tomato paste and continue to cook for 1 minute. Stir in potatoes. Lower heat to medium, cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth and cauliflower florets. Bring to a boil. Partially cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 6-8 minutes or until potatoes soften. Reduce heat to low.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Whisk mixture into the 2 cups buttermilk.
- Stir the buttermilk into the vegetable mixture. and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach in small handfuls and cook just until wilted. 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve over long-grain rice if desired.
Recipe adapted from Southern Living Magazine February 2015