Are you feelin’ it? I’m feelin’ it. Pumpkins and cornstalks are popping up everywhere! Fall is in the air. It’s only been one day, ONE DAY, and I’m already in full fall swing! Soup’s on, and cookies are baking!!
During the fall, hearty soups, stews and chili are popular items on the menu at the BHK. This Spicy Black Bean Turkey Chili is one of my husband Tom’s favorites. He has always been a huge chili fan, so I have been working on a healthier version that’ll still get the thumbs up from Mr. Picky, and BINGO this one’s it!! He is usually not one for leftovers, but he’s asked for this chili two nights in a row, so I know it’s a winner.
This chili is HUGE on flavor, and you’re going to love how easy it is to make. You just need one large pot, and less than 45 minutes, and dinner is ready! Just serve it with some nice crusty bread and you’re set. I used some lean ground turkey meat, fresh red and green pepper, onion, black beans, and to give it some kick, a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce. I added an extra tablespoon of the adobo sauce, but feel free to add more if you like it spicier. I experimented several times with this recipe to get the spices just right, and I think I nailed it. Don’t leave out the cinnamon. It’s the perfect addition. Enjoy friends, and see you next week back at the BHK.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey meat
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14 oz.can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped, plus 1 extra Tbsp. adobo sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat.
- Add red pepper, green pepper and onion and cook for 5 minutes until tender.
- Add turkey meat and cook until no longer pink.
- Add garlic, black beans, crushed tomatoes, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce, chicken broth and spices, and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes.