Hello friends! How is everyone’s week going so far? Are you working hard this week or playing hard? Summer is quickly coming to a close, so I hope it’s the latter! My husband, Tom, is on vacation for the week, so we have been playing hard!
Our week has been packed! We’ve been meeting up with friends, fishing, boating and beaching it! And yesterday we were biking it! Our good friends, Joey and Kristen, organized a bike ride for about 12 of us. We all boarded the Cape May Ferry with our bikes (in the pouring rain) and headed to Lewes, Delaware for some biking through the trails near the beach to Rehoboth, Delaware. We lucked out because as soon as we got off the ferry the sun came out and we had an awesome day! We all enjoyed the ride, a great lunch, delicious cocktails and a nice relaxing ride back to Cape May on the ferry. It was the perfect day!
While we are on our vacation I always try to treat Tom to some of his favorite dishes. This week started off with his Mom’s spaghetti sauce and meatball recipe. Next on the list was shrimp scampi, and last night was a delicious grilled filet, twice baked potato and this traditional southern Louisiana dish, Corn Maque Choux. Tom and I both love it!
Corn Maque Choux is a corn dish, with peppers, onions, bacon, a little sherry, some heavy cream and a bit of cayenne pepper for spice. I also added in some of my favorite, Jane’s Krazy Mixed-Up Salt which is a blend of salt, herbs and spices. I know most people enjoy corn on the cob during the summer but this dish is just the perfect, fresh, summer side dish AND it’s got bacon in it. Need I say more? With all the beautiful corn and red and green peppers at the local vegetable stands it was the first side that came to mind to accompany the grilled filet and potato. I think it’s been Tom’s favorite meal so far!
Soon it will be time to break out the pumpkin recipes for fall but for now let’s keep summer going! Let’s take advantage of all the beautiful summer fruits and vegetables, support the local farms and make something fresh and delicious! Hope you all enjoy the upcoming weekend!
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Salt (or kosher salt)
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (more if you like it spicier)
- In a large saute pan cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towel lined plate. Pour off all but 1 Tbsp. drippings.
- Add peppers and onions, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add sherry and cook until nearly evaporated, scraping up the bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the bacon, corn, cream and seasonings.
- Simmer until thickened, about 5-10 minutes.